Monday, April 26, 2010

Praying the Scriptures for your Children

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
1 John 5:14

I am reading a new book.

It is called: Praying the Scriptures for your children, Discovering How to Pray God's will for Their Lives. The Author is Jodie Berndt.

From the author: "When you pray for your children, you join God in the work he is doing in their lives."

What a great concept praying the scriptures for your children is! I always pray for my girls, but often my prayers are pretty much the same things over and over again. Prayer is such a powerful tool, and what a powerful thing scripture is ... I want to use the promises of God to pray for the lives of my little girls as we journey on the path toward adulthood with them. We are given these little blessings for a brief amount of time. I feel like God is letting me borrow them for a little while, they are really his, aren't they? It is so important that we make good use of the time we are given. It is so important to me that we are faithful to the task set before us. As everyone says, they grow up so fast. I believe that there can be much wisdom given from God in prayer and that we need MUCH wisdom when raising our children into adults who will love and serve the Lord.

The book is divided into five parts and in each part there are four topics. The author lists several prayer principles as well as specific scriptures in each topic that you can use while you pray for your child. Anything that I put in quotes comes directly from the book. I won't put the scriptures in quotes, but I am pulling them from the book as well. I will list a couple of the scriptures that spoke to me regarding each topic, the ones I will most likely be praying through for Allyson and Lauren. She seems to list several scriptures per topic and I can see how they would apply to different situations in different families. With my girls being so young, I am praying more often for the development of a certain qualities and principles as opposed to the changing of their hearts (though there is some of this also). If I was praying for a grown child, the approach and requests may be different, make sense?

The five parts of the book are:
1) Praying for your child's faith
2) Praying for your child's character
3) Praying for your child's safety
4) Praying for your child's relationship
5) Praying for your child's future

I am excited to start this journey. I know that God will change me as I learn more about prayer. I am reminded of this scripture:

One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples." Luke 11:1

2 comments:

Blogger.jinbo said...

Unintentionally, that the Chen Chusheng name.

Is no intention, I have heard a song of his has anyone ever told you.

typical campus style, as well as past young lyrics,men's nike shoes,

In Chen had hoarse voice,chi straightener, tells of a distant but real memories.

inadvertently fall in love, so where she fell in love with that city.

may miss,wedding dresses 2010, but the distance of a city.

In the lonely night, sleep,ugg boots 2010, a person listening to the song, again,hair straighteners, again nothing to do

true,

needed, just a long absence, moved.

les lunettesde soleil pas cher said...

Love blackhawk jersey , spot on, plenty cheaper than the new Nike version too