Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thursday Morning

I have become a part time worker.

As Justin and I were going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University lesson on debt reduction I came away with the feeling that it was time for momma to get a part time job to chip away at the student loan debt a little faster. When we came home and discussed it we agreed that I would look for something early morning - perhaps a 5am - 9am a couple mornings a week at Starbucks or something like that, and then maybe an occasional Saturday shift. That way the girls could still have thier mommy home all day. Justin could just adjust his office hours a bit.

So, after not much effort on my part (Thank you Jehovah Jireh - the LORD will provide!) I was offered a job at our local Community Center to sit the front desk for the early morning shift (6am - 9am) Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings, and one Saturday a month. Interesting how God lays something on your heart and all you have to do is be willing and open your eyes to the possibility and then he takes care of the details!

I have been working there since early December and it is a great job. The only thing I don't like about it (aside from the 4:30 in the morning wake ups) is not being home with the girls for our normal morning routine. I am a tradition kind of gal. I like to have schedules and routines, partially for the ease of it all and I think routine is great for kids, but also to build memories on. My idea for the kids was never one of wake up, rush to get dressed and eat your dry cereal in the car on the way to work with daddy. Now, don't get me wrong here. The kids are fine and for them it is just part of their weekly routine, what they expect to do and it works great. And, I am thankful to have a husband with the willingness to take on the responsibility.

What I am learning is that Thursday mornings have become a very special time for us. The girls often sleep a little later due to the later Wednesday night bed time. They come in and when they are awake and we hang out mommy and daddy's bed for a while before we go downstairs and make pancakes all together (colored batter of course!) and have a nice and slow morning. Nothing fancy, just time together to talk and be. They call it our "girl date."

I enjoy it and they enjoy it. The first Thursday we got back in the habit of doing this - We've only been in our new house for couple of weeks now and prior to that everything was out of wack for a while - Allyson was certain that she would just rather have Life cereal for breakfast. We even had "words" for a minute or two about it. As we were sitting up at the counter enjoying our pink and yellow flowers pancakes she said, "you were right mom, this was way more fun than cereal for breakfast, you do know things."

:) At times like that you just smile. No "I told you so" is needed!

I love my girls and I love our special times together. I am thankful for my life and my blessings. I can't imagine a world with out my Allyson and my Lauren!

No comments: